One of the first few things I learned to make for myself when I became more aware of what was going into my mouth was Chicken Nuggets. I cannot tell you how I ADORE chicken nuggets and used to uhm.. eat 20 of them at one go from MacDonalds and still crave more.
Then I watched THIS VIDEO and it really put me off chicken nuggets made at fast food joints. I’m not saying that fast food joints in Singapore use this gunk to make nuggets but it really made me more aware of the food I was eating.
Anyway! I’ve been making my own nuggets for awhile now and I’m loving it as well! I bring them out often as a snack or in my lunchbox and they’d be great for hungry kids as well!
(Inspired by : Eat Clean Crispy Chicken Bites which unfortunately I thought was way too tasteless so I modified it. )
For the coating:
1/4 cup Raw Wheatgerm
1/4 cup Brown Flaxseed meal
1/4 cup Oat Bran
1/4 cup almond meal ( I took a couple of almonds and pulsed it through the food processor)
Spices to taste e.g a dash of garlic powder, salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes etc
1. Combine all the dry ingredient in a containers and give it a good shake till it looks like the mixture above
1/2 onion roughly chopped
250gm chicken thigh/ breast
1 cup low sodium chicken broth or water mixed with an egg
1 tablespoon oil ( I used Coconut oil)
*preheat oven to 200 deg
1. Either slice the chicken thigh into chunks or pulse it through the food processor to make mince
2. Marinate the chicken with a black pepper (optional)
3. Add a tablespoon of oil in to a pan. (optional)
4. Saute onions till translucent
5. Pulse onions through the food processor till fine
6. Mix the onions and chicken meat together
7. Gather the chicken chunk or mince into a ball/ nugget shape
8. Dip it into the broth/egg solution and coat it with the dry mixture
Bake in oven for 10-15min or till golden brown.
Garlic Chili Aioli:
For the Garlic Chili Aioli, I blended homemade mayonaise, lemon juice, garlic, and chili powder which I happend to have in the fridge!
*All ingredients were purchased at Cold Storage, Compasspoint.